The Service Desk Technician’s role is to ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes actively resolving escalated end-user help requests within established SLAs. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level or at the customer site. Excellent customer facing skills is a pre-requisite.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Providing support across the whole line of business both to external and internal customers
• Act as an escalation point for advanced or difficult help requests where skillset is relevant.
• Build rapport with all service desk customers and colleagues
• Escalate incidents with accurate documentation to suitable technician or vendor, when required
• Record, track, and document the service desk incident-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made and actions taken, through to final resolution within our ticketing system
• Use remote tools and diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting
• Research solutions through internal and external knowledgebase as required
• Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level when remote tools are not appropriate, including hardware repairs, delivery of peripherals, or other fixes as determined
• Troubleshoot connectivity issues over a wide range of technologies such as broadband, ADSL, FTTC, FTTP and many more
• Troubleshoot through to resolution customer telephony issues
• Install antivirus software and ensure virus definitions are up to date. Ensure all patch levels are up to date
• Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of servers, desktops, laptops and other devices as required at both software and hardware level
• Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
• Perform post-resolution follow-ups
• Develop help sheets and FAQ lists for end users and internal staff
• Contribute to technician knowledgebase and training as needed
• Reinforce SLAs to manage end-user expectations
• Provide suggestions for continual service improvement
Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent recurring issues
• Alert management to emerging trends in incidents
• Deploy pre-packaged software as needed using automated deployment tools
• Assist in software releases and rollouts according to change management best practices
• Any other responsibilities that are deemed a requirement of the post.
Formal Education & Certification
• College Education or university degree in a computer related subject or 3 years equivalent work experience
• Any Certification in an IT related field is advantageous such as A+ or MCP.
Knowledge & Experience preferred
• Knowledge of computer hardware, including desktops, laptops, servers, NAS, network equipment, routers and telephony
• Experience with desktop and server operating systems, including all Microsoft’s current OS stack
• Extensive application support experience with all Microsoft applications both on site and cloud based
• Working knowledge of telephony and broadband technologies e.g., FTTC, ADSL, FTTP
• Experience working in an ITIL-driven environment and working knowledge of ITIL principles and processes would be advantageous
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills
• Strong documentation skills
• Fluent English language skills.